DVTK new update – August 2021
we are happy to inform you about the new DICOM 2021a Standard DVTk definition files as well as on the updated DVTk based applications.
We hope you enjoy reading this DVTk news update!
The DVTk team
2021a definition file set now available
DVTk applications work by validating DICOM objects using a set of definition files that specify the different Information Object Definitions of the DICOM standard.
As you may know, the freely downloadable definition files were created in 2010. A crowdfunding initiative, initiated three years ago in order to fund the update of the definition files, was not successful. ICT Group therefore decided to invest time and effort to create the updated 2020a definition file set and make them available for a small fee.
We’re happy to announce that ICT Group has again invested time and effort to the meticulous task of creating the 2021a definition files set. The 2021a DVTk definition files are now available!
Although ICT Group is asking a small contribution fee per company for the updated definition files, any revenue will be re-invested in the DVTk open source project. So, if you would like to use these latest definition files, then acquire them and support the DVTk project in the process!
DVTk tool updates available
The DICOM Standard is ever evolving. One of the recent changes is the addition of new VRs. This is a list of recently added ones:
- OL: Other Long
- OV: Other 64-bit Very Long
- SV: Signed 64-bit Very Long
- UV: Unsigned 64-bit Very Long
Besides these new VRs, also new Transfer Syntaxes have been added.
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.1.99 Deflated Explicit VR Little Endian
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.7.1 SMPTE ST 2110-20 Uncompressed Progressive Active Video
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.7.2 SMPTE ST 2110-20 Uncompressed Interlaced Active Video
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.7.3 SMPTE ST 2110-30 PCM Digital Audio
Also, some of the retired transfer syntaxes are also added for backward compatibility/testing purposes.
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.2 Explicit VR Big Endian (Retired)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.52 JPEG Extended (Process 3 & 5) (Retired)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.53 JPEG Spectral Selection, Non-Hierarchical (Process 6 & 8) (Retired)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.54 JPEG Spectral Selection, Non-Hierarchical (Process 7 & 9) (Retired)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.55 JPEG Full Progression, Non-Hierarchical (Process 10 & 12) (Retired)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.56 JPEG Full Progression, Nonhierarchical (Processes 11 & 13)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.58 JPEG Lossless, Nonhierarchical (Processes 15)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.59 JPEG Extended, Hierarchical (Processes 16 & 18)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.60 JPEG Extended, Hierarchical (Processes 17 & 19)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.61 JPEG Spectral Selection, Hierarchical (Processes 20 & 22)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.62 JPEG Spectral Selection, Hierarchical (Processes 21 & 23)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.63 JPEG Full Progression, Hierarchical (Processes 24 & 26)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.64 JPEG Full Progression, Hierarchical (Processes 25 & 27)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.65 JPEG Lossless, Nonhierarchical (Process 28)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.66 JPEG Lossless, Nonhierarchical (Process 29)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.6.1 RFC 2557 MIME Encapsulation (Retired)
- 1.2.840.10008.1.2.6.2" XML Encoding (Retired)
To prevent incorrect validation warnings because of these changes in the DICOM Standard and to provide compatibility with the new 2021a DVTk definition files, the DVTk based applications have been updated in order to support these changes.
The following updated tools are now available for download on DVTk.org:
- RIS Emulator;
- Query Retrieve SCP Emulator;
- DICOM Network Analyzer;
- DICOM Editor;
- DICOM Compare;
- Storage SCP Emulator;
- Storage SCU Emulator;
Download these latest releases from this website!